Sometimes it's a simple as liking two colors together. Seriously. I looked in the veggie drawer, and there were 4 ears of corn and a wee head of purple cabbage. I thought "Wouldn't the yellow corn and purple cabbage look gorgeous together?" and then I made the dream a reality. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!!!
QUICK HEALTHY SLAW
4 ears of fresh corn, shucked and kernels cut from the cob (love this tool!)
1 small head of purple cabbage, sliced very thinly
2 medium, crisp apples, julienned with a mandoline or by hand
1-2 jalapeños minced, seeds removed
Juice from 2 limes
Generous pinch of coarse sea salt
Generous pinch of raw sugar or coconut sugar
1T apple cider vinegar
2T olive oil
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well. Taste for spice (add more jalapeño if you're feeling the need for more of a kick), salt, and sweetness, and adjust as necessary. Add some lightly toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) just before serving for a little extra crunch.
A few health perks from the key ingredients:
- Raw Corn: Low sugar, high fiber, and good for your vision (due to lutein and zeaxanthin)
- Red Cabbage: Huge antioxidant boost, high in fiber, and can help lower cholesterol
- Raw Apples: High in fiber, good for cardiovascular health
- Jalapeño Peppers: High in Vitamin C and capsaicin, an anti-inflammatory vasodilator
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps control blood sugar
- Cilantro: Antioxidant and heavy metal binding capability
This crazy healthy slaw will get more flavorful if you make it a couple hours ahead of time and let it marinate in the fridge. It took me about 15 minutes to make, start to finish. And my lips are still pleasantly tingling from tasting the jalapeño to see if it was hot (answer = yes).
With love and tingly lips from us to you,